Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A cat-shaped hole in our hearts




The sweet lil' putty-tat, Beast for which this blog derives its name has passed on to the giant catnip-filled field beyond. She was 18 people years and 79 cat years old. The picture above is from a few years ago when she would nightly sleep/hang out on my neck and shoulders whilst I goofed on my computer. Beast was the runt of a litter that my girlfirend's cat had just before I went off to dental school. She was probably about six weeks old when I took her off to school with me. I will never forget our first bonding experience. She fit into the palm of my hand and as I headed up to Richmond in the sweltering August heat she was panting like crazy as my car had no AC. I pulled over and filled a bottle cap with water which she lapped up and then promptly fell asleep in my lap. Another cool thing she would do was to crawl onto my knee when I would play my acoustic guitar wrapping her front paws around my knee to hold on as I created various rackets over the years. We moved all over the place to different states, cities and homes. She took a few sabaticals over the years but always came back. Beast seemed to have a good sense about people too. Those that she did not care for I ended up eventually feeling the same about. Beast lived w/ my Mom who treated her like a queen for the last couple years of her life. We all will miss her. Rest in peace sweet kitty.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am not teasing you on this. That kind of brought a tear to my eye. They certainly do become family. That is a long life for a cat. Sorry about the loss young man. But you will be getting ready to celebrate your newest addition soon. Oh and you spelled field wrong.

Brian Kunz said...

I feel your pain. We lost our best 4-footed friend last year. It still hurts, but less often as time goes on. Riding my bike helps me deal with this kind of thing.

Anonymous said...

so very sorry, ray.
uncle joe has been gone 6 years and the loss still bends my knees.