Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Night Rider!!!



Fall is certainly upon us as the temperatures and leaves have descended. I always try to get my weekday ride fixes in with my commutes to and from work, but its no substitute for the intensity of trail riding. My work and family commitments seem to become larger daily forcing me to creatively search for time to get out and burn it up. Shorter days make it even more challenging. I can get to my local haunt from my downtown office in about 15 minutes, but I still only might have a half an hour of decent light.


Undeterred, I dusted off my headlamp, a Niterider Flame Thrower HID their first series. I have used this light sporadically since I got it and have read some less than favorable reviews, but it has always been pretty bulletproof. It is blindingly bright and provides a daylight view of everything in front of you for about 20+feet. I suppose I could add a handlebar light for even better shadow definition, but I am able to see pretty well with this puppy. I have tackled technical rides and small jumps without too much fear whilst using it, but never any man made stunts. The 'switch has some fun stuff to play on so I decided to give'r a go.


I arrived a lil' before 6 PM and it was already dusk. There were some of the BMX'ers packing up, but not another soul around. I fired up my light within the first ten minutes. I was feeling pretty good, music playing through my pack and I had no trouble seeing anything. The Nomadizer felt great as usual. Hell, I could ride uphill through a manure pile on that bike and still enjoy myself. The platform ramp pictured below is about 8-10' up from the base of the exit and requires a slight right turn at the top before you descend the 45 degree incline ramp. I conquered this in the daylight, but it is pretty sketchy as there is little room to put a foot down at the top. I was not sure about trying it in the dark, but I was feeling good so I went for it.


I cleaned it perfectly and I cannot begin to express what a rush it was in the pitch black woods. I went on to ride for a little more than an hour. I never saw anyone else. I have always felt that night riding trails feels like you are in video game with darkness all around with the only light in front. I suppose in some open sections you can get some ambient light from the city or moon, but east coast woods are generally too dense to allow much if any light in. All totalled it was a blast and half. The only thing that would have made it any better would be to have some other like-minded riders to join in. Those are far fewer here than back in Georgia, sigh. I will be working at the EVMA booth at the 21st annual Tidewater Mountain Bike Challenge this weekend. The course is fantastic; maybe the best XC course (read: not dumbed down to a street with dirt thrown on it) I have ridden. See y'all there.

No comments: