Friday, February 1, 2008

When I was your age Satan still ruled the airwaves


As long as I can recall EVERYONE has made fun of the music (muzak?) played in dental offices. This for good reason as the majority of dentists are pretty conservative and certainly do not need to do anything that could make their patients anymore uptight than they already are. Easy listening, album oriented rock (at least the most tame examples of the genre), and light pop have always been dental office staples. I grew up around dentists and I am actually one of fourteen in my extended family. My grandfather was my dentist as a kid and to say he was a character is putting it lightly. He was very well liked, hilarious, and talented and had a way of putting patients at ease with his often silly and occasionally non-PC antics. One of his most memorable and daily rituals was his incredible singing. He would sing along with all the clasic crooners (Perry Como, Sinatra, Bobby Darin, Dean Martin, etc.) and entertain nervous patients as he often made up his own lyrics to suit the situation. He would not just sing for just the patient, but rather the whole office with his loud booming baritone. This certainly set him apart fom his peers w/ their more standard bland music selections. My uncle with whom I work does this as well, however he does it to our cable radio solid gold oldies staion most often. Sometime, last week when he was out the station was changed to the swinging selections of the 70's. This stuff is almost as mild as the oldies, but now and then some cool nuggets like the above pop up. I mean come on, the slease in this song is terrific. Amisdt the schlock and roll trash I also managed to hear Alice Cooper's Schools Out, ZZ Top's La Grange and Sweet's Fox on the Run all fun stuff to do dental work to, thank you.

One of my patients today who is a regular bike commuter backed me up today in my feelings that the drivers in this area are the most rude, self-absorbed, and downright dangerous I have ever come into contact with. I am going to get one of those hideous saftey vests, because despite having lights on my bike that rival some discoteques I still have way to many people get too damn close, cut me off and generally not have a clue. Although I dream of having an RPG mounted to my bike I will try to just stay cool, listen to podcasts from http://www.garagepunk.com and happily get my ride on.

No comments: